Once I am on a roll I can get a lot done, but only if I prevent myself from being distracted! The key here is being honest with yourself. I have to make a plan for my plan, and in order to do that I must create a productive environment for myself.
Organize those thoughts!
The first step for me is putting on some music. Nothing distracts me faster than silence! Next, I leave my computer completely alone. I close all pages and tabs besides the music-related one. If I hear a facebook notification sound, it's all over.
I am extremely visual, so I cleared a space to lay out all my incoming ideas. Once I get going many thoughts crowd my mind at once, making it impossible to focus on and remember all (if any) of them. I decided to break down the house into main sections, much like my folders. I assigned a place for each section. If I get an idea I write it down, put it in the right section, then return to what I was doing. This keeps me on track but also saves those great ideas for later when you reach that section.
Pick something that works for you
I love lists. I get them for birthdays and Christmas and they work really well for me. Some people use sticky notes, others an ipad. Just choose something you like! Here was my desk after about 10 minutes of brain-storming
Keep the momentum
Making a game plan for your game plan will help you from getting too overwhelmed. Once you have a map, you can zero in on one bit at a time and track your progress as you go. I love to document everything. It allows me to see progress as well as keep ahold of memories. Sometimes it's hard to see changes happening if they are a little at a time. Taking photos and keeping them in a 'Progress' folder can be exciting to look back on during those tougher days. And don't forget the fun of before-and-after pictures!
Good luck on your organizing journey. Don't ever give up! If something isn't working just re-group and try again.
No comments:
Post a Comment