I was most nervous about this area because of several reasons, all of which were the things I wrote down on the 'Do Not Like' list.
-Jewelry a tangled pile
-Dresses bulky and jostled
-Shoes and boots getting flattened by each other
-Existing storage inaccessible
So many of my things were clumped together that I ended up wearing the same outfits week after week. I didn't even get to see my choices!
Step One
I hauled it all out into the bathroom. Next I tackled the clothes. It's still very warm and so many of my winter clothes were taking up space on the hangers, so I packed away the long-sleeved shirts in the big green bins. The green bins had been full of old single-size sheets. We don't own a single bed, so out they go. (Amazing the things you'll find!)
The dresses were driving me crazy! I had two dresses on each hanger and they hung floppy and wrinkled. They got caught on everything, looked awful, and the hanging put much un-needed stress on their delicate fabric. After clearing out my large white bin of winter gloves/scarves, I folded and stacked my dresses. I have one drawer for casual/summer dresses and one for formal wear. Skirts are on top and there's even one drawer still empty. I know my dresses well, so I'm not worried about being able to see them all. Isn't it beautiful!
Jewelry
This pile of metal frustrated me to no end. While I like the softness of the fur I had under my jewelry hanger, earrings got lost very very easily inside of it. Instead I got some drawer liner which is a bit cushy to keep anything from getting chipped. I then laid out bracelets, necklaces, and began hanging my earrings. Before I had the hanger so low that I never saw it and never used it. Now I don't have to stoop over to find what I am looking for. And I own about 6 watches (not all pictured) because I could never find one in the pile *tsk tsk*
Drum Role
And finally, the moment you've been waiting for... Well, at least I have!
I can finally display my favorite heels, and now the others are easy to get to. I moved all the shoes I wear alot into the mud room and am using the old shoe hanger for the pile of sheets.
I have even found a place for my hats which used to be huddled in a corner far out of sight.
Tips
-Keep a couple of baskets or boxes handy so you don't have to go far from where you are working. Have one for garbage, donate, and a few for items that belong in other sections of the house.
-Play music! This is a brain, physical, and sometimes emotional workout. Music can give you a boost
-I kept a cool glass of iced tea nearby, it's been very hot! The caffeine will help
Next!
Well that's another space finished and I am feeling great! My husband is less skeptical to my claims of being able to get my messy life in order. I am totally inspired to do the bathroom now.
How are you doing?





No comments:
Post a Comment