I woke up excited: It's the weekend and I have plenty of free time to devote to cleaning and organizing. I even have some extra cash to buy things I can put to good use- a small filing system and a couple organizing bins/containers.
But where do I start?
Before I let myself become too overwhelmed I went back to my game plan, all the lists I had laid out for each room. I asked myself which room would be the least stressful to me. While I had originally wanted to tackle my room, closet, and bathroom, I quickly realized that was not the way to go. I need something I can start on and if need be leave for a couple days before I can finish it. I've decided on my studio since I can shut the door and take a break if I need to. My goal is to get this done, not take on too much and give up. Slow and steady!
Studio Closet
I began by writing out all the things I do not like about this closet. Here are a few from my list:
- Can't find anything
-Not good use of space
-Full of things I don't need access to
Next, write out your vision for this space, maybe on the back of the same paper. Mine went something like this:
"An easy-access storage space for bigger volume items like canvass, paper, or the drawing books I don't use that much."
This closet is in my art studio, a place I want to go to be free and creative. Instead, I had filled this storage space with things I never need to access- my sister's wedding dress, old computer parts, a broken bookshelf and packing paper. While these things did need a place to stay I started to wonder why they were there in the first place.
Why do I have a broken bookshelf in my closet?
I started to laugh. This is where the important choices happen. Some things have to go! Now certain items like this broken shelf are easy to shed, but some are not so easy to let go of. This is why you must know why you are doing this. If you don't want to live like you have been, something must change. Otherwise you will simply be re-arranging your cluttered house over and over again.
I do like to keep some things for future projects, and there are a couple items I plan on selling (like that old computer). But they aren't doing me any good in the closet are they? Here's where another list comes out. I've had these 'things I'm going to sell' more than a year now. For today they're going in a pile, but later I will pick a date to sell them by or they get donated. But I'm not focusing on that now, so I write that idea down and set it aside.
After I have gone through everything I own I will start dealing with the piles.
First Step
Get everything out! This is extremely important. If you're working with a large space, just focus on one section at a time so you don't have your entire shoe museum spread across the living room. Since my closet is small I have the space to take everything out. This lets me do two things:
1. See the space I have to work with
2. Make sure I don't miss anything that doesn't belong
I constantly return to my vision to keep me on track. Although it's tempting to stash some stray boxes in the corner I have to recognize that something has to change if I want to get my closet the way I want. What I have been doing has not been working! My sister's wedding dress can find another spot. Even if I do have room for those extra things, they do not belong in my studio closet.
Your Homework
Pick an easy area to start with, something you can spend time on without getting frustrated or giving up. Once you get in the groove you'll be better equipped and confident enough to tackle those hurricane areas.
Write out what you don't like about the space, and then what you want the space to be. If you get mugged down just look back at your vision, and think about how great it will be.
You have a game plan, you have a plan for your plan, a clear vision, and determination. You can do this!


No comments:
Post a Comment